Progress has come to a halt, the southerly winds we were being promised for Friday have kicked in and we are now on sea anchor. I suppose it had to happen at some stage but it looks like we could be on it for the next 4 days!
The funny thing is the weather is actually not too bad the sun is shining and we have a nice warm southerly breeze of about 15-20 knts and the calmest sea we have seen in over a week. The problem is we need to go south and the wind is just a bit to strong so although we rowed through the night making slow progress (1mph or less) the wind picked up this morning and started to push us backwards. So at 1100 am after making only 35 miles for the previous 24 hours the decision was made to deploy the sea anchor.
A sea anchor is essentially a large parachute which we stream off the front of the boat and it then catches water and slows our drift. We are now ironically drifting backwards on the same bearing we rowing all night on at a rate of about 1 mph. If we are on anchor for the next 4 days we will drift at least 100 miles north thus undoing the last 2 days of rowing.
So the routine is gone out the window and we have to find some way of entertaining ourselves and not getting cabin fever.